Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Our Road Trip 2017 pt. 1

So, I think the highlight of our summer will be something I have dreamt about for years, talked about for years and never thought it could happen.... for years.

Lysa & I have talked about a road trip to California for years. Visiting landmarks and friends along the way. Time gets away.... we can never cut out enough time and then it doesn't happen. This year while we were at the beach I mentioned it to my oldest son, Michael. He said "mom, you should go... just do it... what is stopping you?"

Our California dream trip DID NOT happen but a mini road trip did.

On May 26, 2017 my three musketeers and I loaded up and headed West.  Have you ever seen the movie "Elizabethtown?"  That movie inspired me through the years.  Here is a clip...


So, I made our own road trip book......


It was one of the coolest things we have ever done. I know that I will remember it forever! 1706 miles in 5 days! Six states! We really just made a circle....  but it was so fun!

My dad loves country music and Lysa has begged me for over two years to go to Memphis. She visited Memphis with our youth group and knew we would love it. This year is 10 yrs since my dad went to be with Jesus. What a great way to honor him....  he loved Elvis, Johnny Cash, George Jones, and all the old country.

But, wait I'm getting ahead of myself.  So, we wanted to attended the high school graduation of one of Lysa's friends that moved away two years ago. That would be the event that started the ball rolling for us to consider a road trip.
On the way to Hannah's graduation we had to go through Alabama .... Dothan.  Well, that IS the peanut capital of the world...  Mandi lived near there when she attended Baptist College of Florida. So, I decided we would have a scavenger hunt for the peanuts! Confused? You will understand when you see the pictures below!





After our peanut scavenger hunt we went on to Hannah's graduation (Florida~pan handle).

On Saturday the 27th we headed to Destin (an hour away) cause you can't be THAT close and not stop by Destin!



After a few hours on the beach..... we headed to Alabama to see our oldest daughter, Mandi.


We had a wonderful time.... later that night we drove to Birmingham ..... 

That was probably the hardest of the trip.....  we left Mandi's at 10:30pm and it took us 2 hrs to get to Birmingham.  Not too hard but a little.... 

On Sunday morning we drove towards Memphis. It was wonderful .... 

We stopped by The Natural Bridge....



After that we headed on to Memphis.....


It was so fun in Memphis. We spent the night and saw lots of sights the next morning before heading toward Nashville. 

We found the first house that Elvis bought. He bought it May 29, 1956 and we were standing there on May 29, 2017. How cool is that? 
I cried a little.....  thinking of my dad and how I never really thought I would be able to do a road trip with my kiddos. I will share in part 2... how we did it on a budget! 
Graceland.

Dyers is a hamburger place on Beale St. It is known for its 100 year old grease! Yes, I have heard that when they move it.... they have armed guards! 
So, I will end this post... with us skimming roads on the Mississippi River....  and in part 2 ~I will continue on with our road trip. 

Thanks for taking the time to read. Blogging helps me to journal and document the memories. I am thankful for the ones that still stop by. 

Part 2 coming soon.

Teena~

No comments:

Post a Comment