Wednesday, February 13, 2013

It's that Time of Year~ Lent

LENT. We will be preparing for the resurrection of Jesus. I love this time of year. Spring. New Life.

My favorite time of year is spring. Time for renewal....   new life is everywhere. .....

I want to take this 40 days and draw closer to God. It isn't about working our way to salvation. It is about drawing closer to God. 

I am reading A Place At the Table~ 40 Days of Solidarity with the Poor again this year.

Lent is a great time to participate in this fast. It is a time of preparation for the highest holy day in the Christian calendar, Easter. Holy Week and Easter are so important to our faith journey that if we encounter them without taking the time to prepare, we risk not grasping the fullness of God's love and grace. Our hearts, minds, and yes, even our bodies need a time of preparation to lead us joyously to the feast, reluctantly to Gethsemane, solemnly to the cross and jubilantly to the empty tomb. 

"I realized that the joy that food and material possessions bring to me is often substantial, but that far too often I lack any gift from His hand should cause us to stop everything and offer sincere thanks, but so often we do not. The same is true for the air we breathe, our health and well being, and sadly even the grace and forgiveness offered to us through Jesus the Liberating King." 

One of the other things that Chris Seay says that really resonates with me is

Whenever I begin a fast, I do it in hopes of becoming a different man- a grateful man.

Lately, I have struggled with grumbling... complaining....   being a grouch! I need to take some time and refocus. Give thanks. Give up....  my rights....  let it go. Live at peace with all people.

God is impressing on me several things to give up.... and several things to start by the giving of myself.  I want to focus on those who have less....  I want to keep company with the poor. By giving of ourselves we are filled up.

I know several of my IRL friends who wonder why participate in Lent.  I guess thinking it is works based. For me....  and in A Place at the Table that is not what it is about at all.  For me, it is a time of reflection... preparation for Jesus...  just like we prepare for Jesus birth during Advent. Focusing more on the Eternal.

Letting go.... of the temporal things... and ENJOYING all of His gifts.



Sponsor a child today!
Grace~ Teena

2 comments:

  1. I keep saying I'm going to participate in Lent every year, but then I don't. I need a good book to read, I guess, so I kind of know what I'm supposed to be doing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Fasting, prayer, & putting down unnecessary things in this life is easily put off...doing so also pushes away it's blessings. I think it's wonderful to have a time & set seasons to do so! I would encourage people who don't, to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete