Sunday, August 14, 2011

As we start our 21st year....

I have been getting everything ready...  as we kick off a new school year this coming Monday. Cleaning and decluttering my school room/dining room. I like changing things up.... 

It never gets old or boring...  I love it. Twenty one years ago... we started home school with Michael in 1st grade. Michael is now 26.. married to Amber  ... and they live in Orlando. Lots of memories... 

This coming Monday... my third born.... Dakota will walk into our local college and for the first time in his life...   I will not be his teacher.

I am excited...  Excited for Dakota...   excited to start another year. 

My students this year will be ...

Alyssa 8th
Wyatt 4th
Wesley 3rd

This morning when I was in the pool... I was thinking about how it will be when I only have one student left. To me that will be a sad day.  Maybe by the time it arrives I will be ready to "retire?" Today though I was sad. I love home schooling. God gave me the desires of my heart... even before I knew they were my desires! Looking back I can see how this lifestyle fits right into our life.

We love home schooling....  we are not the "curriculum in a box" that we first started with. We use a hodge podge of different things.

A quote I read today really spoke to me. It was from chapter 5 of Dr. Wess Stafford book "Too Small to Ignore.

"Young people simply were not made to be the fulfillment machines of adult wishes. They need time to breathe, to imagine, to wonder, and simply to relax. This is not to condone laziness or inactivity in front of a television for hours on end. But a key part of growing up needs to be living at a reasonable pace."

That is so true...  I want to read with them, walk with them... talk about Jesus together.... go on nature walks...  have our picnics in the woods...

So on Monday we will start our 21st year.....    pray for us. How about you ...

Grace~ Teena
Make a difference... sponsor a child today... click here.

4 comments:

  1. Morning Teena!
    Yes, we will be starting our year out tomorow as well!
    I will pray for you...
    you pray for me.
    So nice to see what all is up with you & yours.
    Have a wonderful day tomorrow.
    Blessings~
    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Compared to you, we are just getting our feet wet! My girls are K and 1st grad this year.

    I have a love/hate relationship with homeschooling. I love the idea, but don't always love the process. Still, I feel a strong call by God to pursue this journey. I'll pray for you and would appreciate your prayers as be slowly get back into our routine and schedule.

    We aren't "diving in" tomorrow, but we are beginning to establish routines and do a little more each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Teena!!! sounds like your kicking the day with a fresh start!!!

    Well for me ever since Joel wnet to heaven it has been just plain unorganized, little of nothing but math, inconsistent so this year we are going to branch out and use the ACE curriculum. To b honest teaching is not my cup of tea, I dont mind doing stuff withthe younger ones but the older ones I dont like, so I am hoping this new set up will allow them to gain loss ground and catch up academically!! We are so far behind its embarrassing but with the Lords mercy I am hopeful to salvage my own mess up and inconsistency!

    So there you have it. I dont mind sharing too much on the blog but I have learned some folks just gonna jack ya up no matter what...hahah! so that is why I just answered individually.

    Love ya!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to this entire post almost. Decluttering, cleaning, in order to prepare for the new school year. We even went so far as to paint it over. I think I am going to have one of my older daughters paint on maps as well. Both world and US. She is talented that way.

    I too would be retiring from parenthood in a sense had the Lord not blessed us. I mean even if we decided to stop after 6, which is a large family I would be finished with teaching and general parenting. We talk about it a lot. How we feel so blessed. Especially at my husband's work where most are his age and have been finished with children in the home for years. The thought just makes me sad.

    Happy new school year to you. I hope it's a blessed one. Like you, we don't school from a box either. So much more exciting making our own path!!

    ReplyDelete